Today is day 51 post my transplant. I'm half way there. I'm on the other side!
I am "home" in the rental apartment living with my parents. They have been the best therapy ever! Mom's cooking and Dad's jokes. It's rare that one would find such time to spend with their parents as an adult. It's been a one of those gifts that could not have been possible without this horrible disease. I guess it's where I found lemonade among these many lemons. Another wonderful plus has been my love to craft. I taught myself how to knit and I am making a scarf. And preparing some Pinterest inspired Holiday Crafts.
My mornings start out with a trip to the Infusion Treatment Area (ITA) at the Stanford Cancer Clinics. I am receiving steroids to treat my GVHD and a an antibiotic in my IV Picc Line. Then they draw about 10 vials of blood each day, then we wait for the numbers to come back. We are always watching my white blood, red blood and platelet counts. They go up and down like a roller coaster. Then we review all of my drugs...what a list! I am happy to report I am no longer on the IV nutrition, but I have to eat by introducing "new" foods each day in small portions. My insides are not yet fully healed yet...and I hope to introduce fruit and veggies by the end of the week.
There it's cool to where your mask. There it's cool to be bald. There it's cool to have tubing coming out of your body as you walk around that amazing place. By the way, BMT patients are always cool. Really, I'm freezing all of the time! I have taken a fashion cue from Zuckerberg, and wear hooded sweatshirts everywhere (with my ski hat, gloves, fleece, fur-lined crocs and mask). Scary!

You made it over the mountain! xoxo
ReplyDelete